Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
The Maze of Galious
 Brain Games Forums : The Maze of Galious
Subject Topic: MoG released for Wii (+ Important bugfix) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
amoreira

Posted: 30 July 2010 at 18:50 | IP Logged Quote amoreira

Hi folks.

I released the port to Wii during the time that BrainGames website was down. Thanks for all the help and contributions!

Here is the topic in the WiiBrew Wiki:

http://www.wiibrew.org/wiki/MazeOfGaliousWii

There were even contributions from other people in the WiiBrew community - one guy even uploaded a YouTube video of the game in action!

Another note: I managed to find out the cause of the "random crash" problem when opening the Item Menu. This is the solution:

http://code.google.com/p/mazeofgalious-wii/source/detail?r=12

If you click on the "diff" link and go near the line 1111, you will notice that the original code allows the world_item array to be accessed at a negative index. In fact, when you are in the castle, the value of map equals to 0, and the index -1 will always be used!

In the Wii port, that memory area will usually contain garbage. The value of world_item[-1][3] will likely be non-zero. Then, the code will do the following calls: draw_items_map() -> B_rectangle() -> memset().

Eventually, the target address of memset() will be a protected memory area, and the game will crash. Adding a condition (if map > 0) before calling draw_items_map() solved the problem.

I think that the reason why this never was a problem in other platforms is that, possibly due to memory layout and the values of other global variables and arrays, the memory area corresponding to world_item[-1] was always filled with zero's (at least when testing on PC Linux, that's what happened).
Back to Top View amoreira's Profile Search for other posts by amoreira Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

dfcastelao2

Posted: 07 August 2010 at 19:30 | IP Logged Quote dfcastelao2

Terrific port!

May I do some suggestions?

1. Classic controller support. The wiimote is functional, but way behind the classic controller.

2. removing graphic/music swap buttons. As those functions are sparsely used, they shouldn't have their own buttons. Being placed at the options menu looks a better option. An accidental button press involves a non desired theme change and a 2-3 seconds gameplay freeze. I must admit that it happens to me a lot with the "B" button

3. Give the jump function its own button. Not relevant when playing on a PC with keyboard, but it eases the jump control a lot when using a pad!. Super Mario knows best .

4. If suggestions 1 & 3 are taken: provide a control remaping option. Don't really know why most homebrew console games refuses to do so.

5. Cheers to you, brave coder.
Back to Top View dfcastelao2's Profile Search for other posts by dfcastelao2 Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

amoreira

Posted: 08 August 2010 at 15:00 | IP Logged Quote amoreira

Thank you very much for the feedback.

Regarding the suggestions:

1. I agree. I chose the WiiMote because it is the mandatory controller in Wii, and the game has not much action buttons. But Classic Controller is certainly better to handle.

2. Yes, I stumbled on that problem myself, especially when using the WiiMote without the jacket. Depending on how the player holds the controller, it may slip over the B button. I am not happy with the current gfx/snd switching, and I'm definitely thinking of implementing that via options in the title menu and in the options menu.

3. I'll think about that. Maybe if the Classic Controller is attached (I think this can be detected), the "jump" button may change from UP to one of Classic Controller's buttons. That would be very useful for jumping when near a ladder. However, it might require some changes in the game engine. But it's definitely an interesting feature.

4. Probably this is not usually done because it would require to implement an additional screen in the existing game code. Santi's code is really easy to understand and extend, but I really don't see any problem in having a fixed button configuration (especially because gamepads are so simple).

My own suggestion for Classic Controller button scheme:

a - SWORD
b - JUMP
y - WEAPON

WiiMote would continue to have the same scheme (only A and B suppressed):

2 - SWORD
1 - WEAPON

Anyway, I am very busy now since I'm back to work. But I think I may be able to get back to the game's code, and release an updated version at the end of August.
Back to Top View amoreira's Profile Search for other posts by amoreira Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

dfcastelao2

Posted: 14 August 2010 at 14:33 | IP Logged Quote dfcastelao2

I hope that you don't mind it. I could wait no longer and implemented classic controller support with dedicated jump button .

Here is the patch file: classic_controller_support.patch.zip
Back to Top View dfcastelao2's Profile Search for other posts by dfcastelao2 Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

dfcastelao2

Posted: 15 August 2010 at 14:13 | IP Logged Quote dfcastelao2

Another patch: this one gets rid of the theme swapping buttons. Now it can be done directly from the main menu and the ingame options menu.

amoreira

Posted: 16 August 2010 at 13:51 | IP Logged Quote amoreira

Oh, that's an excellent contribution! Thank you very much!
Right now I'm on a business trip, but I'll be back home next week. As soon as I'm back, I'll commit the patches to the SVN repository, test it, and finally make a public release for the Wii Homebrew Browser.

Again, thank you very much!!

amoreira

Posted: 25 August 2010 at 16:11 | IP Logged Quote amoreira

Hi again.
I tested the patch a couple of days ago, and it works great, in all aspects. Thank you very much!
Now that I've visited my Google Code page again, after nearly a month, I've seen a comment by some other guy which made gameplay suggestions similar to yours.
Basically, he suggested that the WiiMote also used a jump button, instead of D-pad UP for that. And for the sub-weapon function, UP+1 could be used.
This scheme is similar to that found in Castlevania for the NES (also used by Ninja Gaiden, as I recall), and I think it really works better for gamepads. I will make this change, test some more, and then release the new version (probably, it will be ready by the weekend).

amoreira

Posted: 28 August 2010 at 18:02 | IP Logged Quote amoreira

Now the new version has been released (v0.63.3).
It features all of the contributions from dfcastelao2 (Thank you very much once again!).
I also implemented:
1- the control change described above for Wiimote (separate button for jumping, and UP+2 for secondary weapons).
2- Classic Controller shoulder buttons (L and R) can be used in-game for fast switching between secondary weapons.
3- Fixed a bug in original dfcastelao's patches, that prevented the player from being able to jump, when in front of a ladder.

dfcastelao2

Posted: 29 August 2010 at 16:31 | IP Logged Quote dfcastelao2

The new wiimote layout works much better than the previous one. Good work!

On the other hand... Santi, Amoreira, will those changes be merged into the main MoG source?

Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 04 September 2010 at 19:00 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

Wow, just saw this post! Sure, that patch can be included into the main source. Do you think your patch will work directly on the SVN version?
Back to Top View Popolon's Profile Search for other posts by Popolon Visit Popolon's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

amoreira

Posted: 05 September 2010 at 04:14 | IP Logged Quote amoreira

Hi Popolon!

Sure I can provide a patch.

The only problem is the fact that my modifications used as basis the 0.63 tarball that is available for direct download at the website. In fact, I didn't even know that an SVN repository for Maze of Galious existed.

Can you provide the URL for that repository, so that I can clean up my source code and create the patch from the head revision?

Thanks in advance!

Jorito
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 05 September 2010 at 08:55 | IP Logged Quote Jorito

Unfortunately the SVN server isn't open for public access, but you can download fresh nightly SVN exports from here:

http://braingames.jorito.net/nightlies/

Don't be afraid you will be missing code changes, the last updates were from quite a while ago.
Back to Top View Jorito's Profile Search for other posts by Jorito Visit Jorito's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Azrael

Posted: 29 September 2010 at 16:11 | IP Logged Quote Azrael

Wow! Seems the Wii-Port has come to perfection...

I indeed have to have a look whether I can steal some more code from you
I really hope nobody minds me doing so!

Changing soundset/theme in the menu sounds like a good idea ...
As I can not test the Wii-Version: Is jumping and climbing a ladder now seperated? This was actually on my wishlist for the PSP...

Jorito wrote:
Don't be afraid you will be missing code changes, the last updates were from quite a while ago.

When I started porting to PSP I checked whether there was any code in SVN that wasn't in the 0.63 release. But a diff on the SVN and the 0.63 source showed only additional Makefiles for Win and Mac (where the v0.63 only had Linux...).

Edited by Azrael on 29 September 2010 at 16:12
Back to Top View Azrael's Profile Search for other posts by Azrael Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version