Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
The Maze of Galious
 Brain Games Forums : The Maze of Galious
Subject Topic: MoG in Mac Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Jorito
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 12 November 2011 at 23:37 | IP Logged Quote Jorito

Julesie16 wrote:
Hi everyone,

I have just bought a Mac with OS X Lion and I tried to install MoG on it (I had previously installed it on my old pc and it worked fine) but it does not seem to want to start. Maybe I am doing something wrong (I am not a computer expert) but when I download the .dmg file and try to open it, it seems that the files are extracting and then the screen turns black as if the game was launching but finally...nothing happens. Maybe this has been asked before (in that case sorry for asking again) but could you tell me how to resolve this so I can play my favourite game on my new Mac?

Thank you!

I've seen this problem with some of our remakes and with other software.

The problem is a combination of SDL (the framework we use to do the graphics and music) and fullscreen mode. In OSX Lion, the fullscreen mode in SDL doesn't work unless the game uses OpenGL. This is a bug in SDL, and not something we can fix.

For now this means that only Goonies and F-1 Spirit will work in fullscreen mode. All the other remakes will only work in a small window.

So... try to start the game in non-fullscreen mode, then it should work fine.
Back to Top View Jorito's Profile Search for other posts by Jorito Visit Jorito's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 12 November 2011 at 23:50 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

Hi Jules, what I meant is NOT to browse the content of the file you downloaded. But to go to your OWN HOME folder and see if there is a directory called ".mog" (not ended in ".mog", but actually called ".mog").Inside of that directory there should be only two files: MoG.cfg and mog.dbg. Those are the files I want to see

But most likely the problem is what Jorito is saying. So, you should start in windowed mode. However, I'm not sure if you can do that, since the remake starts in full-screen by default, and you switch to windo mode by pressing CMD+F

ps: browsing the file system in Mac is as easy as in PC if not more. If you have problems adapting to a different interface from windows, just open a terminal and browse the folders unix-like
Back to Top View Popolon's Profile Search for other posts by Popolon Visit Popolon's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Riptillian
Admin Group
Admin Group
Barechet

Posted: 13 November 2011 at 02:45 | IP Logged Quote Riptillian

since the window mode does not work, have you tried what I mentioned earlier, changing the resolution? trust me sometimes this does play a role. I never used a Mac so I do not know if you can adjust the resolution. Try connecting it to an HDMI who knows what might happen :>

Julesie16

Posted: 13 November 2011 at 14:16 | IP Logged Quote Julesie16

Hi guys,

Thank you all for your replies.

Popolon, I have been looking for those two files (mog.cfg and mog.dbg) but I don't think they are there at all...Also, I haven't managed to start in windowed mode...as you said, it seems to automatically try to start in full-screen. And when I try CMD+F, nothing happens.

Riptillian, I did try changing the resolution too but again, nothing happened.

So...I guess I'll just have to find my old MSX computer somewhere in my loft and try to play the original game on there if it still works!!! :)

Thanks

georgesaviour

Posted: 20 June 2012 at 15:05 | IP Logged Quote georgesaviour

Hi there,

I managed to get MoG running in OS X Lion, the way to go is to download the latest version of the SDL library from here http://www.libsdl.org/download-1.2.php (direct dl link: http://www.libsdl.org/release/SDL-1.2.15.dmg ) and then replace the SDL library MoG has inside the application package with it.

The way you do that in OS X is to right click on the application icon and choose "Browse package contents..." then navigate in the folder hierarchy to the "Frameworks" folder and put the latest SDL library there (overwritting the old one of course).

After doing that, I was able to launch the game and play it full screen (or windowed).

And I'm back to being a happy nostalgic gamer with his favorite game of all times running in his macbook air :D

I guess the binary could be repackaged with the latest SDL version easily so there is no need to do this manually?

Back to Top View georgesaviour's Profile Search for other posts by georgesaviour Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version