Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
The Maze of Galious
 Brain Games Forums : The Maze of Galious
Subject Topic: MoG in Mac Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
dfcastelao2

Posted: 25 July 2008 at 09:55 | IP Logged Quote dfcastelao2

Copy&Paste of a couple of comments found at HappyPenguin talking about Mac version of Maze of Galious. I encouraged the guy to write here, but as it seems that he didn't want to do so...

• Writes configuration files into the application bundle which is bad practice should be avoided. Preferences go either into ~/Library/Preferences or ~/Library/Application Support/APPNAME. These directories should not be hardcoded but can be queried using either the Carbon or Cocoa API.

• Doesn't launch on a default OS X installation. It expects Ogg.framework in /Library/Frameworks. This is indeed where the standalone Ogg distribution for Mac puts them, but a program should not rely on any library except what comes bundled with the operating system. Please put Ogg.framework into the Frameworks subdirectory of the app bundle.

Back to Top View dfcastelao2's Profile Search for other posts by dfcastelao2 Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Jorito
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 25 July 2008 at 11:22 | IP Logged Quote Jorito

The second issue should have been fixed already. Maybe I forgot to upload a new build or something, but the Ogg framework is bundled along, and otool tells me it's linked to that bundled version.

As for the first option, IIRC patsie did some fixes that stores the config in ~/.mog in stead of in the application bundle. Not exactly what the dude at HappyPenguin wants, but should be easy to fix.

Then again, I wonder what version he tested...
Back to Top View Jorito's Profile Search for other posts by Jorito Visit Jorito's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Jorito
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 25 July 2008 at 11:36 | IP Logged Quote Jorito

Found both problems:

The build at the Braingames site is a month older than the one at http://mog.jorito.net. Since I can't update the Braingames part, I hope Popolon can do that. Should fix the Ogg issue.

The part about the config file also has been fixed in that newer version, it's stored in the ~/.mog directory and no longer within the application bundle. I just removed the readme.txt (which said it wrote the config in the application bundle and couldn't be started from the disk image directly), since apparently that scared the tester a bit even tho it's not true.

If Popolon updates the Braingames site (the HTML is in SVN), we're up to speed again. I might look into querying Cocoa/Carbon (forgot which one SDL uses) into fixing the config path, but it's a nicetohave, not a show stopper.
Back to Top View Jorito's Profile Search for other posts by Jorito Visit Jorito's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 27 July 2008 at 03:36 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

done. I just replaced the HTML in the server by the one in the SVN. Sorry for the delay...
Back to Top View Popolon's Profile Search for other posts by Popolon Visit Popolon's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Jorito
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 27 July 2008 at 11:50 | IP Logged Quote Jorito

No biggie. I have already posted on HappyPenguin, inviting the complainer to try the current version and see if his problems still are present.

underwhelmed

Posted: 01 December 2008 at 03:32 | IP Logged Quote underwhelmed

This latest version refuses to run on my powerbook, and I am certain that I got it running on this thing in the past (though I don't seem to have the app anymore) When I try to execute it just indicates that it is not a valid application. I have no idea what could be the problem unless it requires an intel based mac (which mine is not) though this isn't stated anywhere on the site.

Back to Top View underwhelmed's Profile Search for other posts by underwhelmed Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Jorito
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 01 December 2008 at 22:13 | IP Logged Quote Jorito

The current build is Intel only, mostly because I don't have a PPC Mac anymore to test it on and therefore are unable to support it. I just tried compiling the remake as a Universal Binary, but the SDL_mixer framework doesn't want to link properly.

I'll look into it a bit, maybe you are lucky and can test a Univeral Binary soon.

patsie

Posted: 01 December 2008 at 22:14 | IP Logged Quote patsie

The binary from april (20080417) is Intel only indeed, I just checked it. (open the .dmg, ctrl-click the application and select 'Get Info'. It says 'Application (Intel)' and not 'Application (Universal)')
Since Apple isn't making any PPC CPU's anymore, I think more and more apps are going to be non-universal/intel-only.
I don't have a dev-kit on my Macbook, but perhaps you can convince the original builder of the package (Jorito), to make a Universal binary.
Back to Top View patsie's Profile Search for other posts by patsie Visit patsie's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Jorito
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 01 December 2008 at 22:25 | IP Logged Quote Jorito

Heh, that was easier than I thought. I only had to redownload SDL_mixer and SDL_image and change some config to compile it as a Universal Binary.

Could you please download this new version and test it on your PPC Mac? Please post a message here to inform us if it worked or not, so I can update the official download on the website as well.

If this one works properly, I might give another go at creating UB versions of the other remakes as well.

Jorito
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 01 December 2008 at 22:25 | IP Logged Quote Jorito

Too late, Patsie

patsie

Posted: 01 December 2008 at 22:39 | IP Logged Quote patsie

Hey Jorito. Yeah, but only by a minute
Anyway, I just fired up my old Mac Mini, OSX 10.4.11, 1.33GHz PPC G4, with an entire gigabyte of memory (yeah baby!) and the new UB works like a charm. I'll put it on the unofficial-official mirror.
Back to Top View patsie's Profile Search for other posts by patsie Visit patsie's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Jorito
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 01 December 2008 at 22:42 | IP Logged Quote Jorito

Heh, wish I had known sooner that we had a PPC test machine available .

Anyways, please wait a bit with updating the unofficial mirror. I have just applied the password patch that was provided in the forums. After some testing I will create a new version and update the website. Better to update the sites in one go!

patsie

Posted: 01 December 2008 at 22:47 | IP Logged Quote patsie

Okay, I'll wait a bit. Ohw yeah, I can't seem to connect to the trac/svn website anymore. (haven't checked anything in or out, so don't know if the SVN is up or not, just the site)

Jorito
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 01 December 2008 at 23:08 | IP Logged Quote Jorito

I have updated the website at http://mog.jorito.net with an updated Mac download (available here. This new Mac version is available as a Universal Binary and has the password patch as submitted by Gamut (see the other thread in the forum).

As for Trac/SVN: SVN is still fully up and running. It's just Trac that's down. I had to temporarily shut it down because Apache's mod_python kept on crashing, bringing the entire webserver down. I'll look into fixing it soon.

patsie

Posted: 02 December 2008 at 19:38 | IP Logged Quote patsie

updated the mirror with the new Mac UB as well.

underwhelmed

Posted: 02 December 2008 at 23:31 | IP Logged Quote underwhelmed

Thanks, I'm downloading it now (though the connection is a little slow at the moment so I'm not sure how many years this is going to take.

I'll get an intel mac eventually, but until I get to residency this one will have to do.

Edit:
Yep, works like a charm. Thanks guys. I was playing the emulated MSX version, but the constant password writing was killing me.

Edited by underwhelmed on 02 December 2008 at 23:43
Back to Top View underwhelmed's Profile Search for other posts by underwhelmed Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Julesie16

Posted: 12 November 2011 at 22:08 | IP Logged Quote Julesie16

Hi everyone,

I have just bought a Mac with OS X Lion and I tried to install MoG on it (I had previously installed it on my old pc and it worked fine) but it does not seem to want to start. Maybe I am doing something wrong (I am not a computer expert) but when I download the .dmg file and try to open it, it seems that the files are extracting and then the screen turns black as if the game was launching but finally...nothing happens. Maybe this has been asked before (in that case sorry for asking again) but could you tell me how to resolve this so I can play my favourite game on my new Mac?

Thank you!

Riptillian
Admin Group
Admin Group
Barechet

Posted: 12 November 2011 at 22:52 | IP Logged Quote Riptillian

My cousin had the same problem with his Mac, but I'm not sure if this is the same problem however try changing the colours (bits) of the computer or the resolution, I think it might work.

Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 12 November 2011 at 23:04 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

Hi Jules,

The first thing that MoG tries to do is to create a hidden folder in your home named ".mog", can you check it is there? if it is, then there would be a couple of text files inside. Could you post the content of them here? that would help me see where did the execution fail.

santi
Back to Top View Popolon's Profile Search for other posts by Popolon Visit Popolon's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Julesie16

Posted: 12 November 2011 at 23:37 | IP Logged Quote Julesie16

Hi Santi,

I have been trying to explore the content of the Maze of Galious folder created when opening the .dmg file I downloaded (I find it is not as easy to browse file contents on mac compared to my old PC - I'm new at this). I find a folder called "contents" which has inside 3 other folders: "Frameworks", "MacOS", "Resources" and two files: "Info.plist" and "PkgInfo".

However, I cannot view any hidden folder with a ".mog" inside...

In the "MacOS" folder above, I did find an "exec" file called "Maze of Galious". When I clicked on it, a text box popped up with the following text:

Last login: Sat Nov 12 23:11:47 on console
iMac-de-Julien-Penet:~ julien_penet$ /Volumes/Maze\ of\ Galious/Maze\ of\ Galious.app/Contents/MacOS/Maze\ of\ Galious ; exit;
Initializing SDL_mixer.
    opened coreaudio at 44100 Hz 16 bit stereo, 4096 bytes audio buffer
    compiled with SDL_mixer version: 1.2.8
    running with SDL_mixer version: 1.2.8
Nov 12 23:33:56 iMac-de-Julien-Penet.local Maze of Galious[295] <Warning>: CGDisplayBaseAddress is obsolete and returning NULL for display 0x4273580

Does that help?

Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version