Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Developers
 Brain Games Forums : Developers
Subject Topic: Game engine using SDL and OpenGL Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Jorito
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 06 January 2007 at 16:51 | IP Logged Quote Jorito

I have been considering making my own game engine in C++ with SDL and OpenGL support. While browsing the great game programming wiki (http://gpwiki.org/), I found a nice tutorial on something called the Kore Engine. That was basically what I wanted to do, a game engine in C++ with SDL and OpenGL, containing managers for graphics, sound, states, etc, etc.

I think it'd be a good idea to use this engine (or something similar) for a new Brain Games project. The current 'engine' (more like a bunch of hacked together objects with years of legacy behind them ) is quite inconsistent, when looking at the Goonies code.

Anyways, enough about that, you can read about the Kore Engine, the way it works and what it does in this tutorial.

Also you can download the source code of the engine.
Back to Top View Jorito's Profile Search for other posts by Jorito Visit Jorito's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

patsie

Posted: 14 January 2008 at 16:17 | IP Logged Quote patsie

Sounds like a good plan. Would need to check out if this engine has all functionality that a new game would need tho.

ps: lately this forum is being 'run over' by spammers. Can anything be done against that?
Back to Top View patsie's Profile Search for other posts by patsie Visit patsie's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Jorito
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 18 January 2008 at 22:49 | IP Logged Quote Jorito

That was an old post already .

Hey Patsie, if you're at the MSX fair in Nijmegen this saturday, stop by the MRC stand and ask around if I'm there. It'd be nice to meet a braingamer in person
Back to Top View Jorito's Profile Search for other posts by Jorito Visit Jorito's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

JEames
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 21 January 2008 at 16:06 | IP Logged Quote JEames

There's not much more that can be done against spammers than what is beeing done now other than close the site for new users.

Currenly there is a limit on the amount of messages that can be posted in a certain timeframe, ...this keeps spammers away from flooding the site, but I can't stop them from posting one or two messages once they've registed.

In any case I do try to delete spammers messages... unfortunatelly most subscribers still recieve the email notification. As I said: can't do much about it. Any ideas please feel free to suggest.

BTW: Santi, are you alive? Did the american's asimilate you?

Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 22 January 2008 at 18:10 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

hehehe, yeah I'm alive
I drop by the forum every now and then (and also delete some spams )
Back to Top View Popolon's Profile Search for other posts by Popolon Visit Popolon's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Iamweasel

Posted: 23 January 2008 at 03:59 | IP Logged Quote Iamweasel

Hey Popolon, long time no see!

Good to see that you still read the forum. How are things going? I have a question I would like to ask, is there life after becoming a doctor? I need to know that before becoming a PHD candidate.

Edited by Iamweasel on 23 January 2008 at 04:02

Mauricio.
Back to Top View Iamweasel's Profile Search for other posts by Iamweasel Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

patsie

Posted: 23 January 2008 at 11:22 | IP Logged Quote patsie

hmm yeah, silly me reacting to a year old post like that :)
Anyway, sorry jorito, but I didn't go to nijmegen this year.
JEames: a lot of forums use captchas nowdays. (either the visual ones, or sometimes the more simple 'logic questions') They seem to be quite effective against automatic forum spammers.
[edit]
Another one could be to deny new users to post for the first 24 hours.
[/edit]

Edited by patsie on 23 January 2008 at 11:25
Back to Top View patsie's Profile Search for other posts by patsie Visit patsie's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

JEames
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 23 January 2008 at 18:06 | IP Logged Quote JEames

Well... unfortunatelly the software version of this forum is so old now that has'nt neither options... so a full upgrade would be needed.

Taking in concern the amount of spam posted (not much) and the use that we are making from it I think we can leaveit as it is for now. If we have a new project comming on it might be excuse to install a complete new version of the forums and strart from scratch.

Santi: your "unvisibility" wories me. Are you working for the NSA now? -I can't believe you are not developing any new games...

Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 23 January 2008 at 18:19 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

hehehe,

There's life after the PhD Iamweasel, so if I was you I'd go for it. It's kind of exciting, but also very time consuming: lots of projects, lots of ideas, lots of students to coordinate. But it's fun! I'm working on a system that learns how to play Warcraft by observing humans right now, so I'm really excited about it.

About doing more games, I've been doing small things on the background wen I had time. But nothing serious. I read the forum again a couple of days ago when Jorito told me that there was some update in F-1 spirit, and I got curious!

I'll update the source code of F-1 spirit in the sVN to the last version I've in my hard drive, and I also want to upload a couple of small new games I did last year on my own (really small games, but might be worth uploading :)). Let's see if that F-1 Spirit update sparkles again life around here!
Back to Top View Popolon's Profile Search for other posts by Popolon Visit Popolon's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Iamweasel

Posted: 23 January 2008 at 20:20 | IP Logged Quote Iamweasel

Popolon wrote:
hehehe,

There's life after the PhD Iamweasel, so if I was you I'd go for it. It's kind of exciting, but also very time consuming: lots of projects, lots of ideas, lots of students to coordinate. But it's fun! I'm working on a system that learns how to play Warcraft by observing humans right now, so I'm really excited about it.

Good to know (that there's life after PHD). I want to start my PHD studies, but I made a promise to myself that I would have some fun coding games before going to PHD, and I will try to keep it. I got some new motivation with F1 Spirit as well after knowing about David's updates (more about F1Spirit below).

Popolon wrote:

I'll update the source code of F-1 spirit in the sVN to the last version I've in my hard drive, and I also want to upload a couple of small new games I did last year on my own (really small games, but might be worth uploading :)). Let's see if that F-1 Spirit update sparkles again life around here!

About F1 Spirit, I managed to compile the version available in SVN here after having some trouble (I'm using DEVC++ here, and some things aren't the same as in VC++). The game is working, but the replay doesn't work here anymore, is that ok or it is just my compiled version that has this problem? Another thing, can you add some information about how to compile F1 Spirit (libs needed, etc) using DevC++? I prefer not to upload a guide of my own because I'm not sure if it's 100% correct (besides the replay stuff, sometimes during gameplay the game exits with a SDL error, so I may be using a different SDL library).

PS: Can you give us a brief information about what's new in the version you have in your HD?

Edited by Iamweasel on 23 January 2008 at 20:23

Mauricio.
Back to Top View Iamweasel's Profile Search for other posts by Iamweasel Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Jorito
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 23 January 2008 at 20:38 | IP Logged Quote Jorito

Hey Santi, welcome back

And Iamweasel... Santi doesn't use Dev-cpp. That's something I introduced when I wanted a new Windows binary and couldn't get things working with Visual C++ [:]. Of course you can just create a document and place it in SVN. If Santi wants to do some coding and prefers MSVC, he can check in his build directory in SVN as well. Nothing wrong with a build/windows/devcpp and build/windows/msvc dir

And about F-1 Spirit... I believe Santi got quite far with the network support for it. It'd be great to finish that part! I'd be happy with just intranet support (just a local network with routers), internet support (with modems and other devices slowing down in between) is just a nice bonus at the moment.

Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 23 January 2008 at 22:17 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

If I do't remember bad, I fixed some issues with multiplayer mode, also some things with the extra tracks (the huge oval, and the micro one), and that network code that Jorito mentions.

And yeah, I compile using VC++6.0 as the IDE and the intel C++ compiler 8.0 as the compiler, so I've no idea how to do it in dev-cpp. But to compile the last version I used the following libraries:
SDL 1.2.11
SDL_image 1.2.5
SDL_mixer 1.2.7
SDL_net 1.2.6
libcurl 7.15.5 (no SSL)
zlib1 1.2.3 (if useing olderversions, libcurl complains)
GLUT32

I still haven't updated the code. But managed to compile again the SVN version (I lost all my development files and I had to recreate the project ). I also get the crash with the replays, I think it should be fixed in the updated version I have,I'll test it.

I've also noticed that in windows, the game crashes everytime that I try to reset SDL_mixer (remember that we had to reset SDL_mixer every once in a while to prevent soun glitches?). Weird...

Jorito
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 23 January 2008 at 23:16 | IP Logged Quote Jorito

Hmmm... I remember that you reset SDL_mixer after each race... but do you still remember why we did that in the first place? It might be worthwhile to fix it, maybe by using a newer SDL_mixer library.

Hmmm.. shouldn't we continue this discussion in the F-1 Spirit forums anyways?

dfcastelao2

Posted: 24 January 2008 at 00:56 | IP Logged Quote dfcastelao2

My god!!!! Popolon, the man!!!

Mmmm, maybe you're just an intelligent agent programed by the mythical Popolon. Probe to us that you're the human being... show a photo disguised as Afrodita .

Nice to see you here again!
Back to Top View dfcastelao2's Profile Search for other posts by dfcastelao2 Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 24 January 2008 at 01:15 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

lol, are you going to make me pass a turing test

Iamweasel

Posted: 24 January 2008 at 05:48 | IP Logged Quote Iamweasel

Jorito wrote:

And Iamweasel... Santi doesn't use Dev-cpp. That's something I introduced when I wanted a new Windows binary and couldn't get things working with Visual C++ [:]. Of course you can just create a document and place it in SVN. If Santi wants to do some coding and prefers MSVC, he can check in his build directory in SVN as well. Nothing wrong with a build/windows/devcpp and build/windows/msvc dir

Sorry, I forgot it was you who was using DEV-C++. Anyway, if we want to be able to compile F1-Spirit with both VC++ and DEVC++, we need to replace the parts of the code that uses _getsystime function for one that works with DevC++ as well (e.g. localtime).

Jorito wrote:

And about F-1 Spirit... I believe Santi got quite far with the network support for it. It'd be great to finish that part! I'd be happy with just intranet support (just a local network with routers), internet support (with modems and other devices slowing down in between) is just a nice bonus at the moment.

Indeed, it would be great to have network support in F1-Spirit! Looking forward to make some competition against you and the other Braingames members to see who's the fastest one among us.

Mauricio.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version