Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Developers
 Brain Games Forums : Developers
Subject Topic: learning c++ Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
haydar

Posted: 28 July 2005 at 02:54 | IP Logged Quote haydar

hiii this is my first post so hello to every body here,i was wondering which is the best book to learn c++ , i have "teach yourself c++ in 21 days"and i completed half of it but i see now its not that good , so can you tell me which is the best???

also , if i want to make a 2d game do i need to be a c++ freak before i can do so or only a beginner would be enough??? 

Back to Top View haydar's Profile Search for other posts by haydar Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 28 July 2005 at 10:36 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

Well, there's no need to be a c++ guru to code a simple game. I think that you better read some tutorials on OpenGL, SDL or Allegro (I strongly recommend you OpenGL and/or SDL), than continue reading about C++. You only need to know the basics of C++: how to define classes, create objects, constructors/destructors, member functions, etc. and no more. You can learn the rest afterwards.

I personally never read a book of C++. I learned C about 12 years ago, and bit to bit switched to C++. Eventually one day I found myself coding completely in C++
Back to Top View Popolon's Profile Search for other posts by Popolon Visit Popolon's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

haydar

Posted: 29 July 2005 at 00:23 | IP Logged Quote haydar

thanx alot popolon and congratulations for the ph.d ,i forgot to mention that im wisam's freind and he told me about this site,just what i seek is the resources , i mean what to read to be good in SDL or OpenGL as i have a very weak base in programming(just couple of years in basic on MSX, i will read some good books i found people on the net saying they are good to learn C++,but till now i have no idea how to start learning SDL or OpenGL ?
Back to Top View haydar's Profile Search for other posts by haydar Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 30 July 2005 at 11:47 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

For SDL, you can check:

SDL tutorials

And for OpenGL:

OpenGL tutorial

But I can tell you that OpenGL will not be that easy to learn. It's the best library for 3D graphics out there, but it's a little hard to start. It has tons of details that you have to master.

btw, greet Wisam from my part!
Back to Top View Popolon's Profile Search for other posts by Popolon Visit Popolon's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version