Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Developers
 Brain Games Forums : Developers
Subject Topic: VC++ 6.0 programmers, read this! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 25 February 2004 at 16:33 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

After spending like two weeks around a stupid "bug" in the engine I've discovered a really shocking thing: MS VC++ 6.0 compiler has a lot of bugs!!!!

In fact, my engine didn't have any bugs, and it was just the compiler that introduced the bug! If some of you experience a problem like this: your program works in debug mode, but doesn't work in release mode. Try this solution: set the optimizations to "default" instead of "maximize speed". The compiler of MS VC++ 6.0 has a bug, and some speed optimizations do not work!! That's another point against microsoft products...

read more about this bug: here

Back to Top View Popolon's Profile Search for other posts by Popolon Visit Popolon's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

MP83

Posted: 26 February 2004 at 13:13 | IP Logged Quote MP83

That happens when the source code is only in company's private use.  Otherwise that kind of bugs would have been already fixed.

But that's only a one bug. Where's the others you mentioned? I would like to see some list, it would make my life much better.

Back to Top View MP83's Profile Search for other posts by MP83 Visit MP83's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 26 February 2004 at 13:55 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

VC++ 6.0 has got a lot of bug fixes releses. Currently there is service pack 6 available. You can check MSN website and see what bugs fix service packs 1 to 6. However, the bug I mention is known ans not fixed by any service pack!!!
Back to Top View Popolon's Profile Search for other posts by Popolon Visit Popolon's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

JEames
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 26 February 2004 at 15:32 | IP Logged Quote JEames

I think that M$ does'nt plan to support much of VC++ any more due to the new release of C# in it's .NET developement platform. VC++ 6.0  has bugs (like any developement plaform) but, indeed, VC++ is a very good developing platform; better (IMO) than .NET.

The proof it's a good platform is that you (Popolon) are using it!

BTW: have you tested the Visual Studio .NET? -It's one hell of a developement plaform. Just to install it you have to count 3 Gigs of hard disk (if you include the complete MSDN). To be honest, I hardly understand all the improvements (most of them security related) but it's really a pain in the ass just to install besides the fact that you need a new machine just to complie and run the classical "Hello Word".

On the other hand it seems that M$ is jumping in the "free" developer resources. Check this link:

http://www.asp.net/webmatrix/

It's a free version of the asp.net developer envoriment. I don't now if it works for C# or what features have been taken off from the VS.NET but it's only 1.3Mb (in fact I think it's only used for ASP developers).

Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 26 February 2004 at 16:11 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

Actually, I've always used Borland compilers, but Microsoft took the lead with VC++5.0, and then I switched to VC++.

VC++6.0 has a lot of improvements over VC++5.0, but I do not like the BIG jump of VC++7.0, so I stay with VC++6.0. Do you use VC++7.0 in GetPut Jason?

Currently I'm thinking to switch to DEV C++: http://www.bloodshed.net/dev/devcpp.html, that is a free development environment to compile with GCC.

But the debugger of VC++6.0 is so fu*** cool that I still prefer to use VC++6.0 instead of DEV C++...

And about bugs, of course that all the development environments have bugs, but very seldom in the compiler itself... I was really frustrated since I've spend 2 weeks looking for bug that wasn't there!

Edited by Popolon on 26 February 2004 at 16:14

James

Posted: 20 October 2004 at 10:11 | IP Logged Quote James

Just because a bug only appears when compiled with optimization doesn't mean that it is a compiler bug. I've had the same thing happen to me with gcc, it was my fault. The problem is that lots of things in C++ are undefined. If you do something to an area of memory which has undefined effects, it might turn out OK in debug mode, which watches memory more closely, but break in optimized mode.

As an example, I recently submitted a patch to someone else's game where they were calling string.erase(string.begin(), string.end()) on en empty string. You are not supposed to do this, but in debug mode (compiled by gcc) it worked fine in any case. In optimized mode, it crashed on some computers, but not on others.
Back to Top View James's Profile Search for other posts by James Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version