Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
The Maze of Galious
 Brain Games Forums : The Maze of Galious
Subject Topic: help installing on winXP and Mac OS X Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Longey_Nowze

Posted: 30†September†2003 at 15:17 | IP Logged Quote Longey_Nowze

Hello,

First of all I would like to thank everyone specially the people who are keeping this game alive!! I LOVE IT! It brings back a lot of memories of simpler times!

Now I need help on how to install game on both winXP and Mac OS X, the Mac will be my main machine, the winXP thing is for my friends that used to play this game it's going to be a nice surprise!

What do I need to install? And how? Please donít spare any detail!

I have downloaded the data files and the appropriate binaries for each system, but sadly I couldnít get it to run  what do I have to do to get it to run? And what are all the SDL that are needed to run the game on Mac OS X? Thanks a lot!

Thank you kindly

MaT

Back to Top View Longey_Nowze's Profile Search for other posts by Longey_Nowze Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 01†October†2003 at 13:15 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

I've already answered by mail to you explaining the way to proceed. But, please, if you still have problems, just tell me!

cheers
Back to Top View Popolon's Profile Search for other posts by Popolon Visit Popolon's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Longey_Nowze

Posted: 01†October†2003 at 14:42 | IP Logged Quote Longey_Nowze

yes thank you very much! i've tried it with XP and soon when I have a little more time I'm going to use it with my mac I'm doing some cleaning on my mac reisntalling stuff and dumping stuff that i don't need... etc. I will post here if there are any problems, but for reference I'll post your instructions here so in the future people can find it if they want.

[quote]For WINDOWS:
- Download the DATA FILES and unzip them
- Download the WIN32 BINARIES and unzip them inside the folder created
after unzipping the DATA FILES
- You should have a folder called "MoG". Inside this folder should be
the MoG.EXE file and some subfolders: "graphics", "sound" and "rooms".
If this is right, just double click on MoG.EXE to play the game.

For MAC:
- You need the SDL, SDL_image, SDL_mixer and SDL_sound frameworks. They
can ALL be obtained in the http://www.libsdl.org web. SDL can be
downloaded directly, and for the rest, just go to the "libraries" page
(see the botton left of the page).
- Download the DATA FILES and unzip them
- Download the MAC OS X BINARIES and unzip them inside the folder
created after unzipping the DATA FILES
- You should have a folder called "MoG". Inside this folder should be
the MoG application file and some subfolders: "graphics", "sound" and
"rooms". If this is right, just double click on MoG application to play
the game.[/quote]

Thank You
MaT
Back to Top View Longey_Nowze's Profile Search for other posts by Longey_Nowze Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Longey_Nowze

Posted: 02†October†2003 at 19:27 | IP Logged Quote Longey_Nowze

hi again, um... I didn't know which files to download from the site you gave me, I found the SDL but there were 2 version 1.0 and 1.2 there are also development libraries and runtime libraries, I couldn't find the other files too :( sorry... would it be to much trouble to ask if you gave me the direct link to the libraries I need to download? PLEASE!

Thank you kindly
MaT

Longey_Nowze

Posted: 02†October†2003 at 22:40 | IP Logged Quote Longey_Nowze

hello, I found all the required frameworks, but I didn't didn't know how to install SDL_sound, it didn't come as a package, when I uncompressed the SDL_sound-1.0.0.tar.gz file which I got from here a folder called SDL_sound-1.0.0 was created, in it I found a file called PBProjects.tar.gz when I uncompressed that folder called PBProjects was created I tried to run the ProjectBuilder project there but when compiling I got errors.

I am running OS X v10.2.8 on a Pismo

Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 03†October†2003 at 09:48 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

I remember some trouble compiling the SDL_Sound framework. But I could fix it. Can you please tell me what error do you get when compiling it?

Let's try to make it compile first. But if we cannot, I can put the compiled version in the web to download.
Back to Top View Popolon's Profile Search for other posts by Popolon Visit Popolon's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Longey_Nowze

Posted: 03†October†2003 at 14:16 | IP Logged Quote Longey_Nowze

in the SDL_sound-1.0.0 folder there's a compressed file called PBProjects.tar.gz after uncompressing it a folder called PBProjects was created inside the SDL_sound-1.0.0 folder, in the PBProjects folder is a Project Builder project called SDL_sound.pbproj along with folders called build, exports, mikmod, pkg-support, play sound and vorbis.

when I opened the SDL_sound.pbproj file Project Builder opened and gave me a warning saying "the project SDL_sound.pbproj was saved using an older version of Porject Builder. Opening it in this version will cause it to be upgraded, which may prevent older version of Project Builder from reading it. Are you sure you want to open it?" I press open and then compile it and this is what i get:

Compiling ../audio_convert.c (9 errors)
     ../audio_convert.c:34: header file 'SDL.h' not found
     ../SDL_sound.h:66: header file 'SDL.h' not found
     ../SDL_sound.h:67: header file 'SDL_endian.h' not found
     ../SDL_sound.h:134: undefined type, found `Uint16'
     ../SDL_sound.h:135: undefined type, found `Uint8'
     ../SDL_sound.h:136: undefined type, found `Uint32'
     ../SDL_sound.h:185: undefined type, found `Uint32'
     ../SDL_sound.h:448: undefined type, found `SDL_RWops'
     ../SDL_sound.h:451: undefined type, found `Uint32'
     ...more build messages to follow...

thank you very much for your time.

Thank you
MaT

Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 03†October†2003 at 15:17 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

That's because the search paths are not properly set.
Go to "Edit Active Target" in the "Project" menu. Go to "Setting" -> "Simple View" -> "Search paths", and add in "Headers" the folders where the files SDL.h and SDL_sound.h are.

Longey_Nowze

Posted: 03†October†2003 at 17:28 | IP Logged Quote Longey_Nowze

there is no SDL.h! i couldn't find it I searched everywhere on my computer, where should i find it? SDL_sound.h is in the SDL_sound-1.0.0 folder which I added like you said, but SDL.h is no where to be found I still have the save problems when compiling.

again thank you very much for your help

Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 03†October†2003 at 22:10 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

SDL.h should be inside the SDL framework. Look in the "library" -> "frameworks" -> "SDL" and some subfolder. Look in the "library" folder located on the rood directory and on the "library" folder located in your home directory. SDL framework should be in one of those two library folders. But you should find it by Command+F and searching for SDL.h

Maybe you have downloaded only the binary version of the SDL framework and you need the developers version of SDL for being able to compile an SDL application/library!

Anyway, if you still have problems, just wait until monday and I'll upload the already compiled framework to the web...

Longey_Nowze

Posted: 04†October†2003 at 00:21 | IP Logged Quote Longey_Nowze

that's right I didn't download the developer version of SDL, I'll download it now and tell you what happens.

THANK YOU
MaT

Longey_Nowze

Posted: 04†October†2003 at 00:50 | IP Logged Quote Longey_Nowze

this is what I'm getting after downloading the dev SDL and compiling

Compiling ../SDL_sound.c (3 warnings)
     ../SDL_sound.c:301: warning: implicit declaration of function `SDL_ThreadID'
     ../SDL_sound.c:541: warning: implicit declaration of function `Sound_BuildAudioCVT'
     ../SDL_sound.c:800: warning: implicit declaration of function `Sound_ConvertAudio'
Compiling ../decoders/au.c (1 warning)
     ../decoders/au.c:169: warning: unused variable `skip'
Compiling ../decoders/shn.c (3 warnings)
     ../decoders/shn.c:617: warning: implicit declaration of function `log'
     ../decoders/shn.c:1069: warning: unused variable `cpyBytes'
     ../decoders/shn.c:1306: warning: unused variable `shn'
Compiling ../decoders/wav.c (3 warnings)
     ../decoders/wav.c:413: warning: unused variable `byte'
     ../decoders/wav.c:408: warning: unused variable `delta'
     ../decoders/wav.c:691: warning: unused variable `pos'
     build failed (see build log for details)

what am i doing wrong?

thank you
MaT

Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 04†October†2003 at 11:43 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

The "unused variable" warnings are not important. The important ones are the "implicit declaration of function" ones.

That is the source code is calling a function not previously defined. Quite curious... I can't remember how I solved it. However, you can check the "build log" for the details as the system tells you. To see the build log, do the following:
Between the edit screen (where the source code is shown) and the message screen (where all the warnings are shown), there is a small horizontal bar that can be moved upwards. If you move it, you can have access to the "build log". The build log is the output that GCC (the C compiler) is exactly giving.

Longey_Nowze

Posted: 04†October†2003 at 16:33 | IP Logged Quote Longey_Nowze

this is the build log:

/usr/bin/jam -d1 JAMBASE=/Developer/Makefiles/pbx_jamfiles/ProjectBuilderJambase JAMFILE=- build ACTION=build _DEFAULT_GCC_VERSION=3.1 BUILD_STYLE=Development CPP_HEADERMAP_FILE=/Users/mat_lock/Desktop/SDL_sound-1.0.0/PBProjects/build/SDL_sound.build/Framework.build/SDL_sound.hmap SRCROOT=/Users/mat_lock/Desktop/SDL_sound-1.0.0/PBProjects OBJROOT=/Users/mat_lock/Desktop/SDL_sound-1.0.0/PBProjects/build SYMROOT=/Users/mat_lock/Desktop/SDL_sound-1.0.0/PBProjects/build DSTROOT=/tmp/SDL_sound.dst
don't know how to make ../decoders/quicktime.c
...updating 4 target(s)...
...can't find 1 target(s)...
...can't make 11 target(s)...
Cp /Users/mat_lock/Desktop/SDL_sound-1.0.0/PBProjects/build/SDL_sound.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Info.plist
Cp /Users/mat_lock/Desktop/SDL_sound-1.0.0/PBProjects/build/SDL_sound.framework/Versions/A/Resources/pbdevelopment.plist
BuildPhase <CopyResources>SDL_sound.framework
Completed phase <CopyResources> for <CopyResources>SDL_sound.framework
...skipped <normal-ppc>quicktime.o for lack of ../decoders/quicktime.c...
...skipped <DeriveAndCompileSources>SDL_sound.framework for lack of <normal-ppc>quicktime.o...
...skipped /Users/mat_lock/Desktop/SDL_sound-1.0.0/PBProjects/build/SDL_sound.build/Framework.build/Objects-normal/LinkFileListPrelink for lack of <normal-ppc>quicktime.o...
...skipped /Users/mat_lock/Desktop/SDL_sound-1.0.0/PBProjects/build/SDL_sound.build/Framework.build/Objects-normal/ProjectBuilderMasterObjectFile.o for lack of <normal-ppc>quicktime.o...
...skipped /Users/mat_lock/Desktop/SDL_sound-1.0.0/PBProjects/build/SDL_sound.build/Framework.build/Objects-normal/LinkFileList for lack of /Users/mat_lock/Desktop/SDL_sound-1.0.0/PBProjects/build/SDL_sound.build/Framework.build/Objects-normal/ProjectBuilderMasterObjectFile.o...
...skipped SDL_sound.framework/Versions/A/SDL_sound for lack of /Users/mat_lock/Desktop/SDL_sound-1.0.0/PBProjects/build/SDL_sound.build/Framework.build/Objects-normal/ProjectBuilderMasterObjectFile.o...
...skipped SDL_sound.framework/SDL_sound for lack of SDL_sound.framework/Versions/A/SDL_sound...
...skipped <LinkWithFrameworksAndLibraries>SDL_sound.framework for lack of <DeriveAndCompileSources>SDL_sound.framework...
...skipped <RezResourceManagerFiles>SDL_sound.framework for lack of <LinkWithFrameworksAndLibraries>SDL_sound.framework...
PhaseScriptExecution <Execution>/Users/mat_lock/Desktop/SDL_sound-1.0.0/PBProjects/build/SDL_sound.build/Framework.build/BPTag005-script.sh
=== Script ===
#!/bin/sh
# make frameworks directory if it doesn't already exist
mkdir -p ~/Library/Frameworks
# delete the old framework
rm -rf ~/Library/Frameworks/SDL_sound.framework
# copy framework to its home
/Developer/Tools/CpMac -r build/SDL_sound.framework ~/Library/Frameworks/SDL_sound.framework
# precompile header for speedier compiles
/usr/bin/cc -I $HOME/Library/Frameworks/SDL.framework/Headers -precomp ~/Library/Frameworks/SDL_sound.framework/Headers/SDL_sound.h -o ~/Library/Frameworks/SDL_sound.framework/Headers/SDL_sound.p
--- Output ---
=== Exit code: 0 ===
...skipped <Script>SDL_sound.framework for lack of <RezResourceManagerFiles>SDL_sound.framework...
...skipped <Touch>SDL_sound.framework for lack of <Script>SDL_sound.framework...
...skipped 11 target(s)...
...updated 4 target(s)...

I'll keep working at it and see what's wrong, but now i have some homework to do if all else fails, then you can just put the compiled version if that's no trouble, but I would really love to find out what's wrong and figure out how to fix it.

thank you
MaT

JEames
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 06†October†2003 at 11:04 | IP Logged Quote JEames

Hey... this sounds like a joke!

Santi: we are going to have to work on this. It can't be so damm complicated for a final user to be able to play your games.

I think we could put on the web several versions with serveral packages included. Something like:

Mog for Windows:

• full version (with sources)
  • full version (all graphics and sound)
  • lite version (just alternate graphics and sound)

Mog for linux:

• full game ready to complile
  • full compliled version (all graphics and sounds, could include different exes for different linux versions)
  • lite version (just alternate graphics and sound, also with different exes)

Mog for OSX:

• full version (with sources)
  • full version (all graphics and sound)
  • lite version (just alternate graphics and sound)

All versions with binaries should include the compiled version of it's SDL and the ones with sources should include the SDL sources. We have to make it more simple for the final user. It really doesn't matter if the file come's to be much larger, it's more important that the user can play the game without help.

Edited by JEames on 06†October†2003 at 12:14

Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 06†October†2003 at 14:55 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

I've uploaded all the frameworks needed to run the Mac OS X version of the games to the main page of the web. That should fix the problem of the Mac users to run the game.

But the main problem is that usually, the libraries (such as SDL, etc.) can be found already precompiled for windows, and for the rest of systems you just find the source code. You have to compile them by your self. I'm sure that the guy that maintains SDL_sound doesn't have a Mac system himself and he has not been able to test whether the source code that is on his web compiles directly for Mac or not. About putting LINUX binaries, I will make the question again: Do a LINUX binary run on all the LINUX distributions?

Longey_Nowze

Posted: 06†October†2003 at 23:54 | IP Logged Quote Longey_Nowze

THANKS SANTI! THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

but now when i press start the application crashes :(

I'm really sorry I'm so much trouble, I'll try it on another mac, I hope it works... I have a feeling the problem is with my own computer and not the game.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!
MaT

Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 07†October†2003 at 09:42 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

It crashes!?!?

Strange... Try it on another mac, and let's see what happens. However, I've tested it on a couple of macs here at work, and it does run...

Longey_Nowze

Posted: 07†October†2003 at 13:42 | IP Logged Quote Longey_Nowze

I tried it on a new 17" PowerBook, its running OS X Jaguar v10.2.8, and an old pimso which is the last G3 PowerBook, running the same version of OS X, they both crash at the same time, it's when I press start, the game crashes

what were the machines you were using running? maybe it's something in this version of OS X?

again I'm really sorry I've been so much trouble, thank you very much for you help, I hope we find a solution.

Thank You
MaT

JEames
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 07†October†2003 at 13:50 | IP Logged Quote JEames

Actually, I'ts really good to have some feed back from people using other platforms different than windows. It's the only way to detect problems and solve them... so really, don't feel sad about letting us now about all these issues.

Could it be the sound initialitzation that make's the game crash? -It would not be the first time that the sound engine give's Santi a headake. May be different kind of sound cards?

Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version