Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
The Maze of Galious
 Brain Games Forums : The Maze of Galious
Subject Topic: MOG Copyrights Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JEames
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 25áJuneá2003 at 12:44 | IP Logged Quote JEames

Hey, Santi: check this topic on msx.org:

http://www.msx.org/forumtopicl1026.html

Read the third post. It seems that Konami is very strict with it's copyrights. Probably nothing new; but may be we are asking for trouble in the future.

Back to Top View JEames's Profile Search for other posts by JEames Visit JEames's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 25áJuneá2003 at 15:16 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

In fact, in the RETRO-REMAKES forum there was a discussion about it one year ago or so. A guy asked konami for a remake of one game (I don't remember) and they say NO. So I decided not to ask them. In fact, I think that I'm not harming konami with my remake for four reasons:

1.- I'm not making money with the game.
2.- Konami is not selling the game any more, so I'm not stealing buyers from konami.
3.- I always include the Konami logo, and the original STAFF list is listed when you complete the game. Only at the end of the STAFF list my name appears.
4.- Some magazines have contacted me to include the game in the cover CD that comes with the magazine, and I've always refused (fearing Konami).

Moreover, I think that the MoG2 project cannot be affected by any Konami Copyright law, since for sure that "Knightmare 2: The Maze of Galious" is a registered name, but not Popolon, Aphrodite, etc. that are Greek gods and heros. The name of the game is not a problem, since we can call it "Galious 2" instead of "The Maze of Galious 2".

This is a typical discussion in the Remakes world... however, we should always have it in mind...
Back to Top View Popolon's Profile Search for other posts by Popolon Visit Popolon's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

MP83

Posted: 25áJuneá2003 at 16:19 | IP Logged Quote MP83

Konami may be strict with these copyrights, but not the maker of Metal Gear series - Hideo Kojima. He actually wants to write a guide about how fans can create their very own sequal to Metal Gear Solid. Here's the proof if you don't believe me.

http://www.ferrago.co.uk/story/169_2

But the questions is: Can Hideo Kojima really decide what fans can do with his games? I wonder...

Back to Top View MP83's Profile Search for other posts by MP83 Visit MP83's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

MP83

Posted: 25áJuneá2003 at 16:24 | IP Logged Quote MP83

Here's another link. It looks like Konami really suggests that their fans could program their own Metal Gear game. I don't know if Konami really is too strict with these copyrights. Actually I think that Konami remakers have asked permission from the wrong e-mail address. You can't trust at 100% to any customer service etc.

http://www.konamijpn.com/products/mgs2_doc/english/pic/etc_03.gif

Back to Top View MP83's Profile Search for other posts by MP83 Visit MP83's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

MP83

Posted: 01áSeptemberá2003 at 11:50 | IP Logged Quote MP83

Here's a picture from the back cover of MoG:

As you can see, it's written there that it's forbidden to reproduce anything from MoG in any form without the prior written consent of Konami. I don't know if this warning is still available, since the game was created in year 1987 and now days Konami hasn't done anything related to MoG (not even a port for Gameboy Advance) nor is getting any money from that game..

JEames
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 01áSeptemberá2003 at 12:01 | IP Logged Quote JEames

I think we have to make MOG2 a sort of new game with some "similarities" to Maze of Galious. In fact there are many games arround that have those similarities... BTH, Santi: what about compiling MOG2 for Gameboy Advanced? ...may be you could sell this one?

Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 01áSeptemberá2003 at 13:12 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

About MoG2, I was thinking also to not use the name of "Maze of Galious" for that copyrights reasons. Maybe some other title...

And about compiling for GBA, just a question: How? is there a cross compiler? Do I need special HW? I was really thinking to buy a GBA some months ago, but I don't feel like to buy it anymore, since I've realized that I can barely find time to spend in my HUGE hobbie-list...
Back to Top View Popolon's Profile Search for other posts by Popolon Visit Popolon's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

JEames
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 01áSeptemberá2003 at 15:18 | IP Logged Quote JEames

Why not just call it MOG2? -Sure Konami never thoght about registrering MOG... What does MOG mean? Could be anything:

Mega Object Game 2 or Multi Opertaions Garbage 2 or Master Ovni Google 2...  :-P :-P

I'll take a look to see if I can find how to compile for GBA. 

Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 01áSeptemberá2003 at 16:03 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

Yes, I also think that MoG2 is a good option, it can be: "MoG2: kcffgnkshjfgzk", where "kcffgnkshjfgzk" means whatever subtitle we use for the game.

MP83

Posted: 02áSeptemberá2003 at 10:55 | IP Logged Quote MP83

JEames wrote:
What does MOG mean?

I think MOG is a language what Moogles are speaking in the Final Fantasy series.  Also if you're bully, you MOG people.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version