Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
The Maze of Galious
 Brain Games Forums : The Maze of Galious
Subject Topic: Congratulations... and some questions.. Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
404notfound

Posted: 23áJuneá2003 at 16:40 | IP Logged Quote 404notfound

Hi,
Congratulations. The remake is perfect. I spent a lot of time playing the original MOG and now, I'll probably spend a lot more playing this wonderfull remake.. :)

I would like to ask you some questions about the developing of MOG....

How did you manage to capture the original graphics from the rom? Did you played all the game, capturing everything along the way or did you use some other way/tool to get the graphics?
(I remember a technique to capture graphics from MSX2 games on the old days that was something like this:
Wait for the screen to show up.. soft-reset the msx.. and then access screen 12,1 (or something like that.. :)) with BASIC and the "tileset" was there.. ready to save.. but this was then.. and it didn't work all the time..:))

I didn't read all the sourcecode, but I got a glimpse of the ascii files that represent the world, castle rooms, etc... Did you created this tile-engine or did ou use some external source/lib?

Thank You, and again, congratulations!!!
:)

Back to Top View 404notfound's Profile Search for other posts by 404notfound Visit 404notfound's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 24áJuneá2003 at 20:35 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

Hi, thanks for your comments.

To capture the graphics, I've played the game till the end and made screenshots during the play. The method you explain to rip graphics from games is just valid when the graphics were made out of "redefined characters", i.e. you redefine the system font so that for instance the letter "A" is drawn as a brick, etc. But if the games doesn't use that system to draw graphics, you cannot rip the graphics (however, most MSX games used that system to draw graphics)

About the engine, I've made it myself. If you are interested on the game engine, you can check the new engine for the upcoming MoG2 (just check the MoG2 forum to read about it).

cheers
Back to Top View Popolon's Profile Search for other posts by Popolon Visit Popolon's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

404notfound

Posted: 26áJuneá2003 at 19:49 | IP Logged Quote 404notfound

Hi ...

Nice work. I checked the new engine (the guide) and it looks amazing..

I'll wait the Linux version to test it..(I don't have a Windows Box to test it.. )

Are you planning a Linux or source release of the new MOG2/editor/engine?

Back to Top View 404notfound's Profile Search for other posts by 404notfound Visit 404notfound's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 27áJuneá2003 at 09:57 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

Yes, in fact. If you take the source code of the engine (not still available in the web), it shoukd compile under Linux also. I've only compiled it under windows and under Mac OS X, and both versions work perfectly, so Linux should compile the program without problems as well.

However, the production of MoG2 will be stopped during one month now because I'm working on another MSX remake to be presented to a "remakes competition" the 30th of July. But after that, I'll continue with MoG2.

btw, the guide is a bit outdated, it talks of version 0.5, and there is a 0.6 available!
Back to Top View Popolon's Profile Search for other posts by Popolon Visit Popolon's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

404notfound

Posted: 27áJuneá2003 at 19:55 | IP Logged Quote 404notfound

Cool.. nice to hear that.

Yes, The Road Fighter remake, isn't it?
I love that game..

I'll try to get a new HD to install windows and test the engine then... :)

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version