Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
The Maze of Galious
 Brain Games Forums : The Maze of Galious
Subject Topic: Hey, Jorito! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
dandrea

Posted: 30 April 2003 at 21:13 | IP Logged Quote dandrea

We are waiting for a newer version of the Castle theme! One as heavy as the demon and world themes! :-)

All other theme-makers that are missing musics, come on! You too! Complete your works! :-)

I'll start myself somethig, but in the graphics area.

Back to Top View dandrea's Profile Search for other posts by dandrea Visit dandrea's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Jorito
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 30 April 2003 at 23:33 | IP Logged Quote Jorito

Heheheh, I can imagine everybody is waiting Unfortunately I'm too busy with other stuff at the moment, so it will probably take some time before I can do some work on the MoG remake again...

However, don't worry; I am planning to remake all original MoG songs, just don't ask me when they will be completed
For now, I will contact my guitar player to see if he can do some more guitar parts for me, and by the time I hear something from him, I should have time to do some more MoG work!

As for your call for finishing stuff:

All you graphics dudes, please finish your gfx set! The remake deserves it!

dandrea

Posted: 01 May 2003 at 17:37 | IP Logged Quote dandrea

I'm one of these lazy gfx guys. Right now I'm involved with LOT'S of things:

• I need to do a Soldier of Fortune 2 level (the offices I work in, more specifically)
  • I'm trying to make some studying about drawing with pastels, human figure, etc.
  • Modeling two diferent stuff in 3D, human figure and a mech.
  • Writing a game (design doc)
  • Making MoG gfx.

Tha'ts why I take so much with that. A recently finished another personal project, a hard-Sci-Fi essay. :-)

Back to Top View dandrea's Profile Search for other posts by dandrea Visit dandrea's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Jorito
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 01 May 2003 at 21:24 | IP Logged Quote Jorito

Lol, I can imagine! Just to not make you feel sad a bit, here's my current list:

• the job gets busier and busier, especially with the boss gone
  • trying to study musics theory and practice more to make better music
  • being responsible for the move of the company to another part of town
  • besides that, also being responsible for a lot of infrastructure work on the job
  • my other hobby project Bombaman
  • Life in general is busy

And I probably forgot some things, but at least you'll see why things are slow here as well

Anyways, I was wondering: which is your graphics set?

Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 02 May 2003 at 11:28 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

It's nice to know that other people have also a lot of projects!! As Jorito says, "life is busy"... btw, is your company a music-related one or a computer-related one?

However, this project is just for fun, so we don't have any kind of presure for making this fast! That's the nice point of it!

and btw, I'm a Sci-Fi fan. What is that Sci-Fi essay about dandrea? and that game with design doc? (I'm very curious)
Back to Top View Popolon's Profile Search for other posts by Popolon Visit Popolon's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

MP83

Posted: 02 May 2003 at 15:33 | IP Logged Quote MP83

I think no one will be intrested to know about my projects, because they aren't so intresting/special...but here they are.

- Graphic Set for MOG Remake (no progress at the moment)

- Super Transball 2 records beating (still playing it when some freetime)

- Sound Effects for MOG Remake (currently only couple of sounds ready)

Right now, I'm not progressing further, because I don't have enough freetime + I'm lazy. But I promise to finish my projects someday.

Back to Top View MP83's Profile Search for other posts by MP83 Visit MP83's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

dandrea

Posted: 02 May 2003 at 18:47 | IP Logged Quote dandrea

Quote: Originally posted by Popolon on 02 May 2003

It's nice to know that other people have also a lot of projects!! As Jorito says, "life is busy"... btw, is your company a music-related one or a computer-related one?

However, this project is just for fun, so we don't have any kind of presure for making this fast! That's the nice point of it!

and btw, I'm a Sci-Fi fan. What is that Sci-Fi essay about dandrea? and that game with design doc? (I'm very curious)

Hey, McBain, Jorito, I haven't even included my jub and my girl in the list!!!

Santi: the design dsoc is secret, can become something real someday.

The essay is for Orion's Arm, www.orionsarm.com. It's HARD sci-fi: we won't break physics rulez and will make everything as verossimile as possible. We even have no FTL travel!!! ;-) You should see. Makes Star-trek seems the silliest thing in the world.

It covers 10'000 years os history in the future. Computers and some few have broken the first toposophic barrier, and became so incomprehensibly inteligent that became like gods. Check it out.

Jorito
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 03 May 2003 at 21:21 | IP Logged Quote Jorito

Quote: Originally posted by Popolon on 02 May 2003

Well, my job description says 'Internet Developer', so it's not music related... mostly! The term is very rough, but I do stuff ranging from setting up servers and network infrastructures to coding dynamic websites to doing stuff with streaming audio, sms, and whatever else you can do with internet. Sometimes, it even involves (very minor) music stuff, I'd like to see that evolve

BTW, I really like the 'don't hurry' approach of MoG... but...you're not afraid the project will take years this way? I've seen (and am seeing) it with my other project Bombaman; we've been working on that for 4 years now, and though it's almost finished,it not impossible it will take a lot of time and work still.

Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 06 May 2003 at 11:11 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

I hope that the project doesn't take years to finish!!

I really want to finish it as soon as possible!! Since I got lots of projects that I want to start after MoG and MoG2, as (in this order):
- The Name of the Paket (Adventure-RPG)
- Transball 3 (Action)
- Salamander Remake (Action)
- Nether Earth 2 (Real-time strategy)

btw, I've checked Orion's Arm webpage (still not very deep). And it's a really good project!! I think that I'll spend some hours reading through the page some day. But there's something with whitch I don't agree: FTL travel is at the same level os fiction than AI computers. So, why accepting AI and not FTL travel?
I still haven't readen things on the page, but I see some alternatives for FTL travels. However, I've seen some good explanations for FTL travels in several books. E.g. Nemesis from Asimov, where he explains that there are two dual universes, one with "real" mass and the other with "imaginary" mass (you know as in the complex numbers). In one of them it is not possible to go faster than the light, and in the other one it is not possible to go slower than the light. Objects with mass = 0 are the frontier between the two universes. In fact both universes coexist in the same space, but one cannot be sensed from the other. Asimov explains how an object with "real" mass can be transformed into an object with "imaginary" mass, thus accelerating it more than the light. The curious thing is that if you take a look at the Lorentz equations if such objects with imaginary mass exist. All the speculations of Asimov are right!! So, this doesn't break any physical law. It's just an especulation that cannot be belied!
Back to Top View Popolon's Profile Search for other posts by Popolon Visit Popolon's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

dandrea

Posted: 06 May 2003 at 21:53 | IP Logged Quote dandrea

I loved to see that project listing of yours!

But, Santi, I have explanations to give you about accepting AI and not accepting FTL travel.

FTL travel has SEVERAL methods explained as possible. But all they fail in some point. Alcubierre's hyperdriver, for example, would work... but just if you can get 10.000.000 times the mass of the entire universe in energy. All these methods has been SCIENTIFICALLY ***refutted***.

AI didn't. I know you study AI. And you know that it's theoretically possible to simulate human brain in a state-machine (automata) with external input. Thus, computer, theoretically, CAN think. INcrease it's power, and it becomes even more apt to deal with more info, and then, more knowledge, and then, break paradigms and become really more smart. It's speculation, I know, but there is a basic diference between this speculation and FTL speculation:

Transapient AI has NOT been proved impossible. FTL did.

In fact, there is one method of FTL "travel" that is theoretically possible. But is out of our current reach in terms of control. So, as not proved false, it exists in OA, and as it is out of our human reach, only S3+ AI beings controls it: artificial wormholes. There are pages explaining how are wormholes created in OA. Still, it's not true FTL, as you don't really travel the distance between the two mouths of the wormhole. Yet, the mouths must be placed apart each other in relativistic speeds.

Comments? Maybe we should move this topic to General Talk, if it continues.

Any news about mog2?

Fernando.

dandrea

Posted: 06 May 2003 at 21:54 | IP Logged Quote dandrea

PS: I'll check the Asimov's stuff. :-)

dandrea

Posted: 07 May 2003 at 05:41 | IP Logged Quote dandrea

Got something about FTL vs. AI. It's the answer from one member (drashner1) to your message, Santi:

Re AI vs FTL.  Unless one invokes supernatural forces, it is logical
to believe that our thinking processes are grounded in a physical
substrate bound by the laws of physics.  Therefore, just as our
technology has duplicated many of the processes seen in the naturally
evolved lifeforms of this planet (flight, swimming, digging) and, in
fact, has often surpassed nature in terms of scale and speed if not
delicacy or elegance, it is also logical to believe that eventually
we will gain the ability to produce thought and intelligence using
technological means and materials.

FTL can make no such claim.  While FTL phenomena do exist in nature,
as each is studied it is found to be incapable of carrying any
information or mass.  There is no 'proof of concept' for FTL travel
as is being discussed here.

Hope it helps!

dandrea

Posted: 07 May 2003 at 05:43 | IP Logged Quote dandrea

More yet:

First Asimov's speculations are 'right' because he knew about the
laws of physics and wrote his story with the intent of creating a
plausible sounding basis for his FTL drive.  Rather like stories that
base their FTL drives on the tendency of particles to 'quantum jump'
between to points.  Physics predicts this, so the author postulates
that some method has been found to scale this up to the macro scale
while the inhibitions against this have been disproven.

Second, ignoring the lack of any proof whatsoever for another
universe of any type existing in parallel with our own, this method
of FTL has a fundamental flaw.  It ignores how an object with mass
(like a ship) is supposed to get from a state of moving slower than
light to one in which it is moving faster than light without actually
ever moving *at* the speed of light.  The Lorentz equations and
others relating to relativity state that objects with mass must
always move *slower* than light, will increase in mass as they
approach lightspeed and will achieve infinite mass at lightspeed. 
They also state that objects moving faster than light will have
imaginary mass and that this mass will increase as they slow down
toward lightspeed and become infinite at lightspeed.  So for a normal
mass object it will take infinite energy to accelerate to lightspeed
and for an imaginary mass object it will take infinite energy to slow
down to lightspeed.  You can get infinitely close to the barrier but
you cant cross it.

dandrea

Posted: 07 May 2003 at 06:13 | IP Logged Quote dandrea

There is also Casuality. Sorry for the flood.

Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 07 May 2003 at 09:47 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

Ok, I see. Those are good explanations. I still have some questions, but for your answers I see that there is a forum in the web of Orion's Arm. So I'll go there and check it, since for sure that all the questions that I can make have been done prviously by someone else...

However, I've downloaded the full web some minutes ago for browsing it quietly later at home!

cheers

MP83

Posted: 07 May 2003 at 14:42 | IP Logged Quote MP83

It looks like dandrea's posts are appearing correctly without those script things.

Or has Popolon removed them manually again?

Back to Top View MP83's Profile Search for other posts by MP83 Visit MP83's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 07 May 2003 at 16:32 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

I haven't done anything. But I haven't changed anything of the forums either. So, I don't know why now they appear correctly now...

dandrea

Posted: 07 May 2003 at 20:52 | IP Logged Quote dandrea

I didn't change anything either. :-)

I'm happy to see that Santi got interested in OA. There's no forum in the web, Santi, but there is a mail group in yahoogroups (orions_arm, orionsarm, something like that).

You'll get 40 mails a day, when things are warmed up, but usually it's just 30. And the most good part: you don't need to read every thread. And you can also browse in yahoogroups, without receiving anything in your mailbox.

BTW, what about MoG2? How's it going? :-)

Fernando.

Popolon
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 08 May 2003 at 12:41 | IP Logged Quote Popolon

Ok, I've seen that there is no forum. I'd like to join the mail group, but I'm not prepared to receive 30 mails more a day! I currently receive about 50 mails a day, and I can barely read half of them!!

I'll tell you more about OA after reading more info of it!

And about the MOG2 question, I've answered you in the MoG2 forum!

cheers!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version